Welcome from Principal Gofonia
Serving as the principal of Paul Laurence Dunbar Institute for Teaching, Learning, and Leading is an honor. I consider Phoenix Elementary School District #1 my home. I began as the principal of Augustus H. Shaw in 2006. My career is dedicated to students, families, community members, and school staff working together for student success.
I will ensure all students have access to their grade-level curriculum. I value communication, collaboration, and connections. Building solid relationships is key to developing a safe and nurturing environment. We are Treasure Hunters, which means we search to find all the talents, skills, and intelligence in our children. We can create and activate hope when we are caring adults for our students, set high expectations, and create opportunities for success.
Paul Laurence Dunbar is:
- A school where children and adults are inspired through hands-on, minds-on learning.
- A school with highly engaged expert faculty, university, and community partners working together to create personalized learning.
- A school that serves as a demonstration site for the District, State, and Nation where students achieve rigorous competencies through authentic learning and assessments.
- A school that models the power of human collaboration and technology integration to accelerate learning.
The Institute for Teaching, Learning, and Leading will include:
- a Newcomer Center for our students who are transitioning to American Schools
- a Collaboration Room for teacher planning and curriculum development
- a Professional Development Center
- a STEM/Maker Space Model Classroom
- a Production Studio
- a Sensory Room
- a Mindfulness Room
- a Family and Community Engagement Center
With Kindness and Gratitude,
Ms. Nadine E. Gofonia
Principal of Paul Laurence Dunbar School