The safety and security of our students is a priority at Shaw Montessori. Our school safety plan is reviewed annually and updated to reflect any potential hazards that may effect our school and community. Please familiarize yourself with the information and do not hesitate to contact our school if you have any questions or concerns.
What Happens During an Emergency
There are two primary types of emergency that we may contend with at Shaw Montessori:
Evacuation and Lockdown
- A Lockdown occurs when there is a potential threat to students on campus. The lockdown is initiated through our all call system. Once the lockdown has been initiated, teachers are alert to their surroundings and ensure that all students are indoors. Teachers then lock doors, pull window blinds, cover the door window, move students to a protected area of the room, and wait silently until the administration provide an all-clear.
- An Evacuation occurs when the campus has become unsafe and students must be relocated to a safe area. An evacuation may be initiated when someone pulls the fire alarm to indicate fire on campus, or by administration through the all-call system in the event of another threat where local authorities deem the area unsafe.
What To Do if Your Child is Kept On-Campus During an Emergency
- During a formal lockdown of the school, students will not be permitted to leave campus until staff has received the all-clear from the administration.
- To keep phone lines free for emergency use, please do not contact the school. Information will be provided to parents through our automated phone service, email, or text as soon as it is safe to do so. The information you receive will include when and where to pick up your student.
- If you speak to your student on the cell phone during an emergency, please remind them to follow all of the directions of their teachers and public safety officials.
What To Do if Your Child is Off-Campus During an Emergency
- During an emergency evacuation of the campus, students will be relocated by district bus to the Performing Arts Center at Herrera School.
- In the event that your student left campus on foot with staff, they will report to one of the following locations:
How Do We Prepare Students for an Emergency
As part of our normal school day, we practice emergency lockdown and evacuation procedures at various times throughout the year. Practice drills are performed in classrooms, during transitions, at mealtimes, during recess or playground activities, and using alternate routes to prepare for obstructions. In addition, we practice what students do if they are locked out of classrooms during a lockdown.
What Parents Can Do
- Please take the time to familiarize yourself with our emergency plan and have a conversation with your student about what his/her responsibility is during a true school emergency.
- Ensure all of your student’s information is up to date including emergency contacts, medications, phone numbers, and email addresses. Shaw Montessori is prepared to provide students food, water, and medication (if needed) to any student in the event of an extended lockdown. It is important that medication information is up to date to help us protect our students.
Please visit the following links to help prepare your child for potential emergencies:
Please note that should an emergency occur, we stay in contact with Phoenix Police, Fire, and Medical as needed. Shaw Montessori thanks you for entrusting us with your child.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the school at 602-257-3914.