Language Acquisition Services
At Phoenix #1, we are committed to supporting all our students by providing the instruction, resources, and support they need to achieve excellent, positive results. The Language Acquisition Department supports English Learners (ELs) in their journey of acquiring the English language by recognizing and building from their academic and cultural assets. In addition, the department ensures the state-required English Language Development (ELD) daily instructional minutes are in place for each EL student. The Phoenix #1 ELD instructional models adhere to the following criteria:
- ELD teachers have either a BLE (bilingual), ESL (English as a Second Language), or SEI (Structured English Immersion) endorsement
- Provide coherent instruction aligned with this state's English Language Proficiency Standards.
- Include oral and written language instruction, including structured opportunities to develop verbal and written skills and comprehension strategies.
- Include access to complex language content through grade-level textbooks with appropriate support.
- Include an asset-based approach to language teaching for our students that enter with other languages to embrace an emergent bilingual mindset.
- Involve families in the language acquisition process of their students and provide access to available resources.